Monday, March 23, 2015

Boys Over Flowers, part 3....THE END!

So, it has been a few weeks since my last post. I finished Boys Over Flowers ages ago and have thought about blogging about it every day for the last two weeks. I finally found time to do it. Why has it taken me so long? Well, here is one reason:


Oh yes, my friends, I have been recruiting. BOF has been the perfect vehicle to get some of my friends from work on board. I had one girl watch one episode with me and she was hooked! And then we hooked in two more girls from work. Now I have people to talk K-drama with! Yey!

Also, regarding BOF, I realize now that Bros Before Ho's is not what it means. I went back and watched the first 2 episodes, which I had vaguely watched the first time. F4 stands for Flower 4. How did I miss that the first time? I still don't understand the title, but I know the "flowers" means the boys are pretty as flowers, which, for Americans, is still pretty freakin' weird. But at least I get it now, and my mistake has been corrected.

Meanwhile, let's see where we left off...




I was under the misconception that this show was 20 episodes long...to my delight, it was twenty-FIVE episodes long which was amazing-tastic. Last time I said I didn't want to talk about the fiance stuff. I still don't, I hate her because I love her character but she's meant to be hated as the one standing between our Jan-di and Jun-pyo. However, there were some stellar moments while she was around. Let's recap them, shall we?

We are going to skip ahead a bit from where we left off. The next greatest part in the show is when Jun-pyo's sister asks Jan-di to move in and she becomes a maid. Not just any maid, but Jun-pyo's PERSONAL maid. I laughed so hard at this moment; first of all, JP is like "I thought you were dead, grandma" which was hilarious. And then this happened:


This is my first GIF I have ever made. I know it sucks but for a first one, it gets my point across...

And I was like "bwahahahah!" She has to call him "master" LMAO!!  That was precious. On top of all that, he calls her via a walkie talkie. I was just giggling like a school girl at this whole episode. It was fantastic. (I am scrubbing through the episode, Ep 20, to make my gifs and it really was one of the best episodes yet).

Then my girl, Ga-eul finally stands up for herself. Yes, my boy Yi-jung is being a tool at the moment, but I was proud of her that she stepped up and told him what needed to be said:

Still getting the hang of this GIF thing...

Good for her! He needs to be knocked in the head to figure this stuff out. I was glad to see her stand up for her feelings instead of just being shy and quiet and pathetic.

Anyway, one of the best parts was the very end of this episode, the reason I love this show so damn much...when Jun-pyo hugs her into the bed...then before she can fully stand up, the fiance chick walks in and sees them!!!!!!  I was like


I was amazed and giddy and excited and THEN the show amps it up and brings in mother dearest to witness the whole thing. AMAZING. This is why this show rocks, moments like this where you are like, "I can't believe they did that, now what are they going to do to fix it?" I was just so happy with the show at this point, I can't explain it.

My notes say the next part that made me feel feelings was when Yi-jung finds out that his ex-true love is dating...wait for it...his brother! What!? I guess that wraps that plot line up in a nice little happy bow, because the brother is happy and the girl is happy but poor Yi-jung cries and is sad. As much as he deserves that whole slap in the face, I still feel bad for him because he is my one true love in this show. Hopefully, he can now see how much he loves my girl Ga-eul.

THEN, the show TEASES us and has Jan-di and Ji-hoo take fake wedding pictures. What?! I mean, that's how I want the show to end, I want her with him, but you know that's not end game, not in a K-drama. So here is some fan service, I suppose, teasing us mercilessly with pictures we can write fanfiction about later.


And were it my script, this would be THE END and they lived happily ever after. But, I didn't write the script so we've got like four more episodes to stress through and have the feels about. I thought that the girl Jun-pyo (I'm too lazy to look up her name) was going to marry was an ass for asking Jan-di to be her maid of honor when she knows how much JD likes JP. That was a really bitchy move, as much as the show tried to make it not seem that way.

The show did a good job of building up tension through the wedding episode. I felt sick to my stomach through the whole thing, imagining what Jan-di was feeling and going through, what JP was going through, and how the girl getting married could possibly feel knowing that she was marrying someone who didn't even necessarily like her.

But the show pays off and the fiance comes to her senses and calls off the wedding. Never mind all the people who showed up and the money that was spent, she decided at the alter that...nah, I don't want to do this.  Which leaves Jan-di and Jun-pyo to live together in happiness, right?

WAIT! We have like 4 more hours to go!

In my notes, I didn't write about anything until Yi-jung and Ga-eul have their almost moment. I did get a little teary-eyed and felt the feels when she showed him the two billboards that showed what his ex-true love wanted to show him. Yi-jung crying was pretty heart-wrenching.

Then, then, THEN!!! I just re-watched it and OMG! I was about to get my payoff, I was about to get my YJ/GE kiss and then....the PHONE? Really? The first time I saw that I shouted so loud at the screen that I woke up my dogs. This time, just 2 seconds ago, I did the same thing! I woke the dogs up AGAIN! Lol. Stupid phone! I hate you so much.

If you have watched the show,  you know what happens between Jan-di and Jun-pyo at this point. She goes away because the mom is an evil bitch and JP ends up in the hospital after saving JH. I am skipping a lot because, well, it's all pretty standard fare. I loved every second, don't get me wrong, but I didn't write anything else down in my notes until this:


Apparently, amnesia is a common thing in K-dramas. This was my first experience with it. Very convenient plot, very convenient. I really, really, really didn't like the amnesia stuff, because it's just plot convenience/lazy writing. However, I feel that it DOES pay off in the end, because when she throws herself in the pool and he goes through his remembering her phase, I got chills and goosebumps and felt all the feelings I ever felt from the show, which made it spectacular. That was a great way to get his memory back, having to save her from drowning even though he thought he still couldn't swim. Therefore, I forgive you plot contrivance of amnesia; you pulled it off in the end.

Then, as every drama fan knows, we fast forward somewhere between 6 months to 10 years at the end of the story; in this one it is 4 years later. Never mind that she could have gone with him and studied to be a doctor at an American university, she let him go...for 4 years. I guess that way she could spend 4 years with JH before she spends the rest of her life with JP. That's the only reason I see behind it. And I found this meme quite funny, yet logical:


And yes, now the story is ended. This was one of the better endings for a K-drama out of the ones I have seen. It's mostly a happily ever after, though poor Ji-hoo gets the short end of the stick. I NEVER got my Yi-jung/Ga-eul kiss for which I was severely disappointed, but as they showed them "together" in the end, it was ok, I suppose. At least he did what he promised and came to find her right away.

Jun-pyo flying over in the helicopter was hilarious, I did get a final chuckle out of that. Otherwise, it was just an ending...sad because it's over...glad because I can move on to my next addiction. Overall, I loved this show, it was the show I used to hook my friends on K-dramas. It made me feel all the feels that I could feel. It is a bit "cheesy", I can see that in retrospect, but aren't all K-dramas at their core? Even the melodramas have "cheese" because their story lines are outrageous. Yet, that's what makes us love them, amirite?

Therefore, Boys Over Flowers, overall, gets a 10/10 from me. I was trying to think of something I didn't like enough to take away points and, really, there is nothing I don't enjoy about the show. The little plot convinces and lack of teachers at school, and twisted moments really add to the show's overall charm. So, go watch this. And I will leave you with this,


Even if he isn't your fav, he is mine. And although I have moved on to two greater K-drama male lead loves in my life, he'll always be near and dear to my heart. I may or may not have added every thing he's been in on Dramafever to my queue (I totally did).

So much drama to watch, so little time....

No comments:

Post a Comment