Monday, August 17, 2015

Commitment

Effing Korean movies....

Seriously. I was having a good day. Watched a few more episodes of Angel Eye, watched a semi-entertaining version of Hercules starring The Rock and I stumbled across this movie in Netflix starring TOP. I love TOP. Looks action-y. What could go wrong?

I forgot how Koreans make movies. Aish!!

More after jump



So the gist of this movie is TOP is a North Korean spy who gets sent down to South Korea to do some missions and...go to school...because he is only 19 in the movie. Even spies have to go to class I guess. Really, this is just a plot device to set up his meeting of the girl in the movie, who just so happens to have the same name as his sister.

The best parts of this movie is TOP kicking people's ass. He is the Korean Jason Bourne, only more bad ass because he is TOP and not boring Matt Damon. He even gets to beat up the bullies, something I wish more main characters would do in high school dramas because, boy did they need it.

Watch out, that smize can kill!
The rest of the movie had nothing in the way of originality. It was predictable from the word go. About a half hour in I remembered why I haven't watched a Korean movie in ages- usually they kill off the main characters at the end. I still haven't forgiven Secretly Greatly for what they did at the end of that flick. (Which, btw, if you don't mind depressing endings, the rest of the movie is really good, you should go watch it.)

The middle of Commitment is slow and I did close my eyes a few times, but I never actually fell asleep. There was enough action spattered throughout to keep my attention for the most part. Again, the story was nothing spectacular, but serviceable for an action movie.

The acting was very good. Everyone was believable. TOP was great in his action scenes and was very dead pan through the rest of it, as his character called for. I haven't seen him in any other acting rolls so I can't compare it what he's done before, but I would say he did a decent job, if not a great job. My favoritest part, besides him kicking booty, was when he was eating food:


Why do Korean men always look like little boys when they eat? It's too adorable!
No one else did a whole lot in the film, they were there simply as plot devices or props to be saved. TOP carried the whole movie, and he did so well.

I'm just mad at the ending. For half a second I though the movie would break the trend...but it totally didn't break the trend. It wouldn't be a Korean drama film if our hero didn't die. And he effing died. I will say, bravo to him for living for so long being shot like 4 times. But yes, my friends, our main star dies quietly at the end of the film. But don't worry, his sister is now friends with his girl friend from high school. So that's ...a...happy....ending....question mark?

If you don't mind depressing endings, this film is worth the 2 hours invested. If you don't like sad endings, don't bother, you aren't missing much. OR! Just watch it until he walks out of the warehouse with the cop and pretend he lives happily ever after, then you can see all the bad ass fighting and shooting scenes. If action movies aren't your deal, then just skip it altogether. The action is the most entertaining part.


If you wanted to watch it for TOP like I did, just go watch Let's Not Fall in Love music video instead. He's much hotter in that video, and let's face it, who could say no to a G Dragon all up in your face with his cute little sweater up on his chin? You? I don't think so.


So, yeah, Commitment...not a happy ending. I need to go watch some more Angel Eyes, even though that has taken a depressing turn....maybe Running Man instead? Ahhh!!

B.A.P. and BTS music videos it is then.

No comments:

Post a Comment